A fire broke out at a home on Ilan Ramon Crescent in Côte Saint-Luc’s District 2 in the early evening of January 11. No one was hurt and the fire department arrived in time to ensure that the fire was contained and then extinguished. Neighbours applauded the efforts and professionalism of the Montreal firefighters who arrived within four minutes of the call to 911.
The cause was reportedly a heating pad left on in the master bedroom, which shorted, created a spark and caused the mattress to catch fire. Due to the intense heat of the fire, the sprinkler system was triggered and released more than enough water to keep the fire at bay. That is the good news. The water damage has devastated the property and fears are that the majority of the home will need to be gutted and redone. Most of the family’s possessions have been damaged by the fire or the water.
What has most impressed me is how all of the neighbours have banded together to assist this family, which may be homeless for some time. The lady of the house, for instance, works during the day and has asked if anyone can find a place for her mother to stay at that time. A number of offers have already come forward.
As one neighbor explained, this should serve as a reminder of the importance of regularly checking smoke detectors and update any fire extinguishers in the home. Talk to your family about the danger of fire and what to do if one occurs.