Congratulations to the entire CSL Public Safety team, the police and firefighters for the efforts they made to contain a blaze at 5765 Sir Walter Scott on Friday afternoon, January 23.
The fire was immediately gotten under control. It was confined to one apartment on the first floor and appears to have started in the kitchen. There was no damage to any other apartment other than some light smoke.
Firefighters on the scene. (photos by Bram Eisenthal)
I was on the scene and so were about half a dozen fire trucks, a fire department school bus in case residents needed somewhere warm to go to, a number of police cars, our Public Security, the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Urgences Santé. Kildare Road near Sir Walter Scott was blocked off to traffic. Public Security redirected vehicles down Rembrandt and around Merrimac. This came at a tricky time as Bialik High School was letting out.
Fortunately the residents were permitted to return to their apartments about 40 minutes after the emergency teams arrived. According to our Director of Public Safety Jordy Reichson, the family whose apartment it was were assessed by EMS and Urgences Santé on scene, but not transported to the hospital. They will be staying with relatives until their apartment is repaired. There were no other injuries.
Côte Saint-Luc Director of Public Safety Jordy Reichson provided me with the following report on a fire at 5775 Sir Walter Scott Avenue, a highrise apartment building in District 2.
This call came in around 5:35AM and when the Montreal Fire Department arrived, smoke and flames were already visible from outside. They immediately called a 10-07 and 10-09 (first alarm with propagation likely). At 5:55AM, CSL received a call from the Fire Department that the call had gone to 10-12 (second alarm).
The blaze started in a fourth floor apartment due to an oil fire on the stove top. It caused extensive damage to the apartment, as well as three other units on the floor and the units directly below.
All residents were taken in charge by the Red Cross (as per Fire Department policy for displaced persons), which made arrangements for those affected to stay with family or friends. The residents of the fire apartment were transported to hospital with smoke inhalation and minor injuries.
The Montreal Fire Department intervention prevention teams, CSL Public Safety and CSL Urban Planning were on scene to work with the building owner on any required follow-up, including barricading broken windows and the roof (which was cut open for ventilation) and other matters. CSL Public Works was informed to clear the catch basins in the area to allow for drainage of water.
Around 10AM, all resources were liberated and the building was left in the care of the superintendent, who was in contact with the building owner. The Montreal Fire Department will follow up with the building owner and Urban Planning as required as there were some issues.