On September 6, most Côte Saint-Luc residents lost power when workers repairing the underground aqueduct on Kildare Rd. near Cavendish struck a natural gas pipe, causing a gas leak. Power was cut to the area as a safety precaution.
Let me begin by commending our Public Safety and Public Affaiirs Departments, senior management and Mayor Mitchell Brownstein for the leadership role they played. Many people were searching for answers and it was those fully plugged in to our social media platforms who benefitted the most.
Please, if you have access to the Internet like our main Facebook page and CSL Ideas; go directly to our website, which had constant updates throughout the day; and sign up for alerts by phone and to receive our e-newsletter.
On September 6 the city sent two telephone call outs (10:37am and 3:06pm) to share the information we had. Anyone who signed up to received the SMS and/or email emergency alerts received those, too. In addition, the city posted approximately 12 updates on Facebook and CoteSaintLuc.org during the day, and several tweets. The timing of the incident was not ideal as staff were on their way to work when the traffic into the city (as well as out) slowed down.
"That said, we are always looking for ways to improve," stated Mayor Brownstein. "I would like to congratulate Public Security Director Jordy Reichson and his team on a job well done. We are lucky that there was no explosion and no one was hurt. Our emergency response was excellent.